Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Duke and Camelot, and North Carolina

Duke Ellington has been quoted "There are two kinds of music good and the other kind." I just watched Live from Lincoln Center's production of Camelot, and it falls into the good side of Duke's thinking. Many of you know the story of Camelot so I will not not bore you with that. Those of you that do not know the story shame on you. This was a rather good production and I would have loved to have been in Avery Fisher Hall this evening. I have been lucky enough to have been in said hall for several concerts and have always had a wonderful time.

Tonight's performance of Camelot was singular in the fact that the NY Philharmonic was on stage and the performers where right in front of the orchestra.

Christopher Lloyd (Pellinore) was great and Fran Drescher (Morgan le Fey) did not lose her Brooklyn ascent.

My only beef with the production is for what ever reason Mordred was dressed like he was one of the New York Dolls from the early 1970's complete with red lipstick, and high heel boots. I was waiting for David Johansen to come out on stage.


Camelot was I believe Robert Goulet's only Broadway show back in the original 1960 production. Sherry will correct me if I am wrong, but he built his whole career on that show.

As for North Carolina in the title I returned Tuesday the 6th from a short 5 day visit to my sister and brother-in-law's in North Carolina. I needed a little R&R and it was nice to stick my feet in the ocean again. There is something about going to the ocean that is very soothing, maybe because it is so vast it put us in our place.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Sorry I've been gone. Broadway nerd reporting for duty:

Goulet made his broadway debut as Lancelot in Camelot and it is the role that made him a star. But he was back broadway several times and even won a tony for a differnt role (The Happy Time--I've read it, but never seen it produced.) I'd like to point out that he got stellar reviews a few years back (between 5 and 10?) when he took on La Cage aux Folles on Broadway as the older partner (can't remember role name.) That's a role that was great for him. Goulet did a lot of his singing on TV and movies--thus the stardom beyond the stage. Anyway, the point is that Camelot is associated with him and it stays that way.

RIP Robert Goulet