Friday, September 5, 2008

Ponder the egg cream....

I had an urge for an egg cream yesterday. For those of us that grew up in the shadows of New York skyscrapers the egg cream has a magical allure. First I had to find Fox's u-bet chocolate syrup. Lucky for me Stop and Shop carries it. There is something about Fox's syrup that makes an egg cream taste like an egg cream should. Several co-works asked me as I returned from lunch with my prize in hand, "Does it taste better than Hershey's?" My answer, "No it tastes different."

Hershey's is fine for ice cream, but for a true egg cream it has to be Fox's u-bet. On the back of the bottle it has the directions for a New York Egg Cream;
In a tall glass pour 1/2 inch of u-bet, 3/4 inch of whole milk, add carbonated water & mix briskly.

Perfection in a glass.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older that the pleasures of my youth are coming back to me. A few months ago it was hard rolls, now egg creams. Anyone up for a game of stickball?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I still owe you some hardrolls. Sorry chief.