Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hog casings reflections....

I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few items to make a pizza.  I guess most people don't call them grocery stores these days but I still call them by that name.  As I'm walking by the sausage and bacon aisle what do I see but packages of Hog Casings.  Salted Natural Hog Casing, a thing of beauty.   I make my own sausage and  finding casing in a local store in a suburb of Boston is not an every day occurrence.

There are plenty of places to order casing on the web, but I the quantities just didn't make sense for my use.  Making your own sausage for those asking is very easy and you control what you put into the mix.  All you need is a food grinder.

So I finish shopping and head to the cashier.  A young lady of about 17 and young man about same age was bagging.  Of course we need a price check on the casing because it does not scan.  I'm thinking let's have some fun with this.  I tell the cashier I'm not sure of the price maybe $4 something.  Then I say I'm surprised you have these, I make my own sausage.  Her look was priceless "You make your own sausage???"  like I just announced I had the cure for cancer.  I explained how easy it was and how you control what you put in to them, and the kid bagging pipes in that he really doesn't like the way sausage tastes.

I told him ,"See you would like it if you made it yourself".  I'm sure they both said I was a crazy old guy when I walked away, but someday I hope they try their hand at making sausage.

No comments: