Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tribute to Sammy

Lost another good friend today.  This time it was a canine friend, Sammy.  Sammy was a 13 year old Australian Shepard that came home with me as a ball of fur in a box one afternoon in Georgia.  I was still married at the time and Noah was born about a year later. 

Sammy was the biggest pup in his litter as I remember and came running up to us as to yell  "Take me, Take me!".  Sammy would grow up to be a gentle giant about 80 pounds and tall at the shoulder.  He loved water, both to swim in it and try to eat it as it came out of the hose.  Sammy was big and friendly to everyone who came in contact with him.  Noah's mother would bring Sammy to Noah's baseball games and Sammy got everyone watching the game to pet him.  After two games everyone knew Sammy. 

Noah and Sammy grew up together and were best friends.  Just like I did with my boyhood dog Rusty.  I know Noah will  keep his memories of Sammy in his heart forever.

I just wish I had an answer for Noah when he called at 3:00 this morning asking me "Why?" 

But I didn't have one, I'm still asking that question myself.

1 comment:

Sharon Kugler said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Sammy sounds like a dog anyone would be privileged to know.