Monday, June 4, 2012

Update to Memorial Day

It has been over a year since I last visited this blog, life had a way of being a little busy this past year.  But today I found out something about my uncle Maynard J. Rogg who has been the subject of past blogs that I had to share.

I was in a chat room with some colleagues and something lead to the name Maynard.  Not Maynard J. Rogg just people named Maynard.  So I did make reference to my uncle Maynard being killed in 1944 while in the US Army on Saipan.  One of my colleagues did a google search and found a book that I was not aware existed.   "Battling For Saipan" by Francis O'Brien.  and when you do the search on goggle of Maynard J. Rogg on of the hits is
 "Battling For Saipan" by Francis O'Brien   2003 - Biography & Autobiography - 400 pages
Lt. Donald I. Gunn and Pfc. Maynard J. Rogg were the first combat casualties suffered by the 2d Battalion on Saipan. Private Frederick F. Neubauer of Company ...


Of course I hit it and jump to the page on the goggle book

http://books.google.com/books?id=fe9r39XmUcQC&pg=PT134&lpg=PT134&dq=maynard+j+rogg&source=bl&ots=j7FGlDUQHf&sig=Ir-cDf5iNWtHbIsh5B7P7Vp5O0Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=T0zNT479A4qJ6QHnweiXAw&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=maynard%20j%20rogg&f=false






Maynard along with Lt. Donald I. Gunn were killed by a US Marine who was most likely scared and trying to stay alive.  My stomach felt like it hit the floor.  I have been looking for how Maynard was killed for years, writing letters, reading books, looking for information.  Finally a relatively recent book tells me want I wanted to know, and now that I know what happened my only solace is that Maynard died without suffering. 


The term friendly fire is an odd one.  I've never had a gun fired at me in battle as I have never served.  But I have had guns pointed at me in my work as a firearms instructor.  There is nothing friendly about  the muzzle of a gun when you are on the receiving end of it.

1 comment:

Art Edwards said...

Hello Steve,

My Mothers first cousin is 2nd Lt. Donald Gunn. We have many letters from him to his mother and step father while he was training for his deployment. My Great Aunt's heartbreak over his death haunted her for the rest of her life. He was her only son and was a music student at the University of Washington before the War. It is hard to hear that he was killed by one of our own Marines. In none of the letters or official correspondence did it say he was shot and killed by our Forces on Saipan. I am available at artedwards@mac.com or (206)276-7159. My Mother has always considered Donald to be her big brother as her aunt (Donalds mother) raised her as her own after her mother died. Nice to find your blog.

Art Edwards
Poulsbo, Washington USA