Friday, July 11, 2008

Made in the USA

My niece is getting married next month. It is an outdoor party in New England, so changes are it will be a hot and humid day. So I decide to treat myself to some new light weight clothes for the day. I try to buy things made in the United States. In stores it is almost impossible to find anything made in America. Since I have to shop in the short fat white guy department, the pants I purchased were not made in the US. Even the tailor who measured me most likely was not made in America either. I was not to sure what part of the globe he was from.

Growing up all the tailors were first or second generation men of Italian heritage. Except Andy Taylor, who was made in these United States in Mayberry, NC.

The shirts I purchased on line where made in several countries other than the US. I still haven't made a choice on which one I'll be wearing but they are all bowling shirts big and loose. As the invitation states "casual dress, comfortable shoes, ties not required food , drink and merriment to follow"

Comfortable shoes hmmm I thought, I could use some new comfortable shoes. I found some on line made in Minnesota by Footwear by Footskins . To top things off I found a made in the US straw fedora made by the Bailey Hat Company .

I'm not sure if It will made a big difference but I'll keep trying to find more things made in the USA.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

You know, that would make a great blog itself...directory and review of stuff still made in the US. You might consider....could attract advertising etc.

But aside all that, you remind me of a pet peeve I have. I've noticed that most (not very bright) folks among us are very confused between the international trade deficit and the national debt. So much so that I remember a radio ad referring to the "national deficit" --unclear whether it was the budget deficit (the different betweeen a balanced budget and the amount in the red we are for the year), the trade deficit (the different between what we buy from other countries and what we sell), or the debt (what we owe plus interest because we borrowed it.) What's up with that? Are we really that dumb? Oh please don't answer that.